Tuesday 29 January 2013

The Olive Tree (previously Jerusalem Falafel) - Middle Eastern food

Looking through various reviews of The Olive Tree, I was surprised to see all the mixed reports. Some raves about the restaurant, others hate it...the most predominant complaints being the "rude owner" and "tasteless food". Having been there 3 times - once in the old restaurant, Jerusalem Falafel, and twice in the new one, I've found my experience to be very pleasant, and very much enjoyed the food there each time. In fact, I look forward to my next visit.

The beautiful new restaurant, The Olive Tree, is quite exotic, and exudes a feeling of cosiness and warmth. The lady owner, whom I found to be very passionate person, tells me that it took her 3 years to create this new restaurant. I could feel that she put her heart and soul into it, and into her food as well. Her husband, the host,  is very friendly and accommodating, and always has a smile on his face.


The owner recommended the special of the day, Chicken Tagin with Tomato & Olive. A tagin, she explains, is like a clay pot. The chicken is slowed cooked with the sauce in the tagin, which also imparts an aroma onto the chicken....and it was absolutely lovely! The chicken was so tender it's falling of the bone, and tasted wonderful with the tomato based sauce, and the olives...I think they were my favourite part of the dish....creamy and mellow. I couldn't have enough of of the olives! 240 baht.


I didn't have much of the Lamb Cutlets, and I don't normally eat a lot of lamb, but from the little bit that I had, the meat seemed to be well flavoured, although a little chewy. My friend seemed quite satisfied with it. 300 baht. 


So it seems, at least from my experience there, The Olive Tree is a very good restaurant, and the food is great. The previous time I went with some vegetarian friends, and we each enjoyed a platter of falafel, hummus and pita bread. Actually, Jerusalem Falafel (now The Olive Tree) is their favourite restaurant in Chiang Mai, and they make a point to come to the restaurant every time they visit this city.

A lot of people (from the reviews I've read) also complains that the restaurant is quite pricey. As for me, I think it's quite reasonable for the quality and type of food.

I'll definitely go back again.

The Olive Tree Restaurant
29/7 Moon-Muang Rd
A. Muang, Chiang Mai
(Between 7-11 & Pharmachoice Pharmacy)
Tel: 053 271 196
Opens: 11am-3pm, 5pm-11pm
Closed on Fridays




View The Olive Tree in a larger map






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you had a good experience here, but do not mislead your reading audience. The majority of people experience humiliation and bullying from the female owner. She cursed at us! Her lovely and kind husband, who told us he was ashamed of her, just looked at his wife helplessly as she ranted on and on, causing us to leave. He said, "oh, not again." I felt awful for him.
She needs help. She should not be in the hospitality business!
Go to BTC or Babylonian for better food served by lovely people.
Go to Olive Tree if you like to be humiliated.

Anonymous said...

You have obviously had a different experience to many others.

From my experience yesterday, it appears that the owner makes up a couple of "specials" and pushes them onto her customers. I ordered the Lamb Tagine to be told they dod not have it. "We may have it next week, I don't know". Too much else was "off" - despite their having been closed for two days.

A very strange way to run a restaurant, and one to be avoided.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I have to agree with the 'bad' comments that this place have. For me, there were no middle eastern food taste at all. I took the chicken tajine with olive and tomato sauce .. the chicken was good, and the sauce too but the olives was really not something. I had yellow rice with but no taste at all and greasy, I was wondering where were all the oriental spices that I know.
The owner (woman) was really bad with her staff working in the kitchen and even on the phone ! So I was like .. ouch .. it's really bad for business when you speak like this in front of your customers !
I dont think I will go there again !

Unknown said...

Thank you for everyone's comments. There are definitely much more negative comments about this restaurant than good comments. Perhaps I was very lucky when I went! : )

Unknown said...

i thought the food was divine & will definitely return, yes a bit pricy but you only get what you pay for.

Unknown said...

my experiance of the olive tree was fab, divine food & will definitley return.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin